Under Construction....

Please excuse my interweb-dust! Changes are underway- thanks for your patience!

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Ten Minute Tuesday: Ten minutes to a healthier, happier home

I'm busy.

I'm sure that you're busy, too. Whether it's classes, work, kids, crafts... there's always a lot to do. And sometimes, our homes are the first thing to get pushed to the back burner. Why is that? I know that when I have a clean, healthy, happy home, I'm more focused, less stressed, and I am a generally more positive person. I'm sure I'm not the only one!

Have you ever noticed that you put off something that needs to be done, justifying it because, well, who has the time for that? I've noticed, at least in my own life, that most of the tasks I avoid really aren't all that time consuming... I just feel like they are. If I just sucked it up and got it done, I'd be a happier person for it, my house would be just a little bit more functional, and it really would have only taken about ten minutes.

That's what I'm going to try to address here. With just ten minutes of "extra" work each week, I'm sure that our homes can function just that much better, our families could be just that much happier, and we check one more thing off of that mental to-do list!

This week?

Let's organize that underwear drawer!






First things first- you'll want to start by deciding what's working and what isn't. My underwear drawer is small. I originally kept socks, undies, bras, and a couple extras (like slips) in this drawer, and it was stuffed. It just wasn't working. Bras got all crushed, there were panties everywhere, and the socks sometimes kept the drawer from closing all the way.

I started out by finding a new home for all the socks. I have a hanging organizer for my closet, and sticking socks into a collapsible basket and putting that into the organizer worked great. In the process, I tossed socks that were holey into the rag bag, and put ones without matches into the sock basket (for socks without matches) that sits by my washing machine.

Then I moved on to the panties. I got married recently and got lots (and lots and lots) of panties at my bachelorette party.   I went through my "collection" and tossed anything that had stains, elastic going out, or that I just don't wear (like a pair I've had for about 7 years. Wow.) Then I organized them by type- lacy, boyshorts...

Bras were pretty easy for me, because I don't have that terribly many! I just untangled them from one another and laid them out so they weren't crushed (which is bad for the elastic and wires).

And... ten minutes later, I have a much more functional underwear drawer, which makes for easier mornings- no struggling to get the drawer closed with ninety million socks jamming it up- and a much happier me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

nRelate Posts Only