Under Construction....

Please excuse my interweb-dust! Changes are underway- thanks for your patience!

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Identity In Christ



One of the hardest things to grasp in the Christian life, in my opinion, is an identity firmly rooted in Christ.

Most of the time, we identify ourselves by what we do, what we've accomplished, what we have, and yes, even our relationship status.

Now, don't get me wrong here- none of those things are bad. Those things describe us, but they are not who we are. I may be a baseball player (ha, yeah, right)... but what happens when the season is over, or if I get hurt and can't play? Do I lose my identity? I would hope not.



One of the biggest things I had to learn during my time of singleness was who I am. From where my identity stems. (To be honest, it's a lesson we constantly learn, even after we're no longer single. I'm still working on it, myself.)

See, I know that my inner being should be who I am in Christ.

That seems so vague, though. Identifying myself as a wife is easy- I have a husband. I can identify as a teacher- I worked hard to earn a teaching license, and have experience in the classroom.

The trouble is, our identity in Christ isn't something that we achieve. It's something that we've received. And I think part of the issue with identifying ourselves as in Christ is that I didn't do anything to become in Christ. 

And as we've established, I have trouble accepting that impossible grace.


I think that firstly, it's essential for us to learn this concept- no matter what I do, what I accomplish, who I'm dating, my relationships or titles, first and foremost, I'm IN CHRIST.

What does the Bible say about who we are?

1. I am chosen. (Ephesians 1:11)

2. My reason for being is to bring praise to God. (Ephesians 1:12)

3. I am free from the bondage of sin. (Romans 6)

4. I have a new family of believers- I'm no longer defined by the choices of my parents or siblings.

5. I am loved fiercely by a God who knows more than I know. I can trust that He knows what's best for me. 

6. I am a gift to God to serve His purposes. (Ephesians 4)

7. I can do anything because God is with me always. (Phil 4:13)

and there are so, so many more.


Here's the thing- you don't have to become any of those things. You already are those things.

Life changes so quickly, and the way we describe ourselves changes right with it. Jobs, our interests, where we live, the way we look, our relationships... all those things are very likely to shift and morph throughout the course of our lives.

But identity in Christ? That will stay firm. Even in the storms of life, if we know who we are in Him, we'll have a solid foundation.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful beautiful post! It can be so hard to accept gods free gift of life and so much easier to try and earn it, but it's so silly. Much better to simply revel in his grace and mercy. Thank you for such a grand reminder of who we are!

    www.hollandsreverie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

nRelate Posts Only