Under Construction....

Please excuse my interweb-dust! Changes are underway- thanks for your patience!

Monday, July 30, 2012

Dinner Tonight!

Tonight, I splurged. Instead of using camp food, like I have been a lot, I went big. I got ground beef... from a grocery store. I know, I know.

Zeke's brother (I'd call him LB, Little Brother, but that abbreviation now looks super mean-spirited... so we'll go with BB, Baby Brother. And now he sounds like a Korean beauty secret. Maybe TB? Teenage Brother? ...Now he's a deadly disease. Man. This is a hard one. Okay. JB it is. Because his name starts with a J. So there.) is visiting.

JB's here for a week, and I thought that I should probably feed him. At least a little. So I went big, and bought ground beef.

(Bet you didn't think that I'd ever come full circle, huh?)

Hoisin Beef with Rice Source, notes by  Little Wife

2 Tbs fresh orange juice
1 Tbs cornstarch
1 lb ground beef (see? I knew I couldn't call him LB!)
1 Tbs sesame oil (I used olive)
 2 Tbs ginger, minced (I used powdered)
2-3 cloves garlic, minced (I used powdered)
2-3 green onions, chopped
1/4 c hoisin sauce

-Combine orange juice and cornstarch, set aside. 
-Saute meat til cooked, drain and remove from skillet
-Stir-fry ginger, orange peel if desired, and garlic in sesame oil
-Add green onion, stir fry for one minute
-Return meat to skillet, add hoisin and stir
-Add orange juice mixture and stir until sauce thickens



Little Wife Notes: 

I served this meal over rice, which wasn't what the original recipe called for, but it made more sense to me. I doubled the sauce and spices, but the meal still didn't come out "saucy" enough... I don't think that you'd need much time for the sauce to thicken. Next time I make this dish, I think I might use the original recipe idea- serving it on a tortilla. Flavor was good, overall, and it was a pretty easy meal to make. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

nRelate Posts Only